Saturday, September 19, 2009

Noodles and Company (order to go)

For months now I've been hearing praises about this little cafe-style restaurant in Greenwood. All of the murmers were insisting that I try the noodles and all of them suggested one particular dish--- the Wisconsin Mac and Cheese.

So of course, I decided to order something else.

Call me a rebel but when anyone says asks me to fork over (no pun intended) $7.95, it had better be in exchange for something that I am incapable of making in my own kitchen for less than a dollar and a trip to Aldi's.

Sorry Cheeseheads, maybe next time.

But I am getting side-tracked here, on to my adventure in a bowl. I arrived shortly before 8:00 pm and found a healthy scattering of patrons on dates and so-called dates slurping out of big mouthed bowles and looking fairly content. I suck at estimations but my guess would be about twenty inside, and ten people outside on the deck enjoying the late summer breezes. I take this as a positive sign. My rule for restaurants is that if over 1/2 of the people there are in high chairs or using a walker then I'm out the door....its usually a very bad sign. But apparently this joint was for the diaperless set, so in I go.

I belly up to the bar and peruse the menu. I asked the 12 year old behind the counter if there were any pictures of the entrees, but no...however, I was cheerfully told that if I ordered something and did not enjoy it, I could get something else at no charge. Major Kudos on this little company policy....Now why don't they do this at the Spaghetti factory?

The menu is divided into three regions, Asian, Mediterranean, and American. After much conference with the manager and cashier, I decided to order the Japanese pan noodles with shrimp and was given a paper cup to get some water while I waited for my order to be freshly made. Nice touch. I also signed up for the birthday club, which I think translates into free noodles on my birthday. Double Yay.

Now the unfortunately news at this point, is that I forgot to take a picture....next time. I promise!!

Fast forward to the moment of truth:

How did the Japanese Pan Noodles pan out?

Let me tell you, if I could propose to a pasta dish this would be it. I would drive to the mall and go to Jarod's jewelry store and buy a princess cut diamond ring with platinum settings and throw in the matching earrings, then fall on my knees and beg to be partnered for life...sadly this can't be done in this reality, so I will settle for a pitty date.

I don't know if it is possible to be jealous of a bean sprout, but if it were, I would be guilty because I can not think of a more fitting ending than to be laid on top of a pile of perfect al denta udon noodles that have been thoroughly infused with black bean and sweet soy sauce. Add to this the marriage of cilantro and given a little "you may now kiss the bride" kiss of black seseme seeds. To be completely fair there were some carrots and brocoli involved, but they really were useless. It is the noodles that stole my heart and it is the noodles that will have me stealing glances in their direction everytime I go north on highway 31.

Congrats to Noodles and Company, you are in my heart and speed dial from now on.

my rating:

service: 4 out of 5 smiles
taste: 4 out of 5 smiles
cost: moderate
note worthy tip: you can reorder if you don't like your entree at no cost

personal tip: portion size is on the smaller size, so plan on getting the salad also, or going to dairy queen after....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there,

My name is Jill Preston and I work at Noodles & Company's headquarters. I'm so glad you found happiness in a bowl with our Japanese Pan Noodles. Next time you'll have to try our Penne Rosa or Pad Thai (two of my favs.) Anyway, thank you for the positive review. We're so glad you had a good experience. If you send me your address, I'd love to send you a couple of free bowl cards. Thanks!

Warmly,
Jill Preston

Harmonette said...

Le, I just love your way with words!